Writing content is a sacred job. It takes passion, love for reading and a hell lot of focus.
I learned the tricks of the trade pretty late in the career, given that most of my content writing tips came from SEO ‘mentors’. They wanted me to stuff keywords whether the copy made sense or not.
Never mind. I hope that you do not have to go through this pain. Here are a few of my tips that will help you.
1. Don’t fluff. Readers will never respect you if you waste their time. Ensure that every line has something to offer.
2. Don’t assume. Several types of people will land up on your content. Don’t assume they all have the idea of what the hell you are talking about. Break everything down.
3. You don’t get the weekends off. Write something. Do a poem or story for kids in the neighborhood.
4. Grammar sucks. It’s a limitation. But you cannot break the rules efficiently before knowing them first. Learn the language every single day. How? Read.
5. Writing 200 words is progress.
6. Even 10 words is.
7. Learn how the content performs. Analyze what engages people. It’s a job. You’re not writing to please yourself.
8. Most efficient content is simple. It is never pretentious. It does not use sophisticated words to sound cool.
9. Learn the basics of the SEO if you want to win digital wars.
10. There is no way to automate writing. That’s a huge myth. It is not happening in the next 50 years. Everyone hates robotic pieces.
11. Walk away when you can’t write. Take a break. Exercise. Be in the shower. Walk the pet. And don’t think about work.
12. Here is a important content writing tip. It is more than just writing. It’s the science of satisfying the readers, pleasing the search engines and selling stuff without ever drawing attention.
13. Humans love stories. If you can build a story around a boring product, you’ll win.
14. Use alliterations (Lovely Love, Selling Soap). People love those too. They appeal to the inner child.
15. Use numbers (10 Ways, 3 Points). Simplicity.
16. Learn to say no. Your fingers and wrist will begin to give up one day. I used to write 7000 words a day a few years back. At pathetic rates. Believe me, it’s not worth it.
17. It’s okay to be terrible. The first draft sucks. That doesn’t make you a bad content writer.
18. Writing content needs inspiration. Read more whenever you’re stuck.
19. ‘I don’t give a f.’ ‘Yeah. Right.’ Nobody wants to read how great company or their product is. Customers look for answers to their problems.
20. Borrow from your past. Experience beats imagination every single time when you write.
21. Nobody said content writing would be easy. With all of sorts of technology coming in, it’s going to be tough. But, guess what? You’re tougher.
22. Don’t be intimidated. The more you write the better you get.
23. My last content writing tips for begginer is about telling your story. A good bio is a great place to start.